Saturday, September 8, 2012

my ex bands. cut the reins and carry no banners.

so right now im not in a band. i was in bands for years back in ireland, so its a little weird. but i havent been in a band for so long im used to it now, wich is a bad thing really. i am working on music with my brothers right now but its long distance so it will be time before anythings released. all that aside, i am still so proud of the bands i was in.

my first band Carry No Banners started in early 2007, even late 2006 if were talking about lyrics and ideas. It was a punk band with some ska and oi tossed in. It was me and my two brothers Mike and Shane at the start and we soon added friends Alan and Donal. We played some great shows and had alot of fun but ended less than a year later for no real reason. it was tough but i think we all knew we'd start other bands wich made it a lot easier.

A few months later all five of us got back together and decided to start Cut The Reins. a more hardcore punk band with a little bit of crust mixed through. again we played many shows, supported many bands and had a great run before ending in late 2010. this time ending because some members needed more college or work time while others (me) wanted to move. in total we did a few irish tours, one uk tour, released two albums and one split 7 inch.

even talking about these bands and the whole experience makes me a little emotional. i got to make great life long friends and share the stage with some amazing bands, the restarts, strike anywhere, outbreak, leftover crack and alot of others. some of our friends even got tattoos of our logo even after we ended wich means alot to me and the other members.

Even though its been turned off for some time now, i still give out the cds to people i meet and the tattoos and memories will never go away so it's never gonna be dead fully and who knows we're all still friends and three of us are real brothers so a reunion show in the future is always a possibility.

Lastly, before ending this and putting up links its important for me to mention my parents, who were two huge parts of the band. my father Brian, who wears a huge CUT THE REINS tattoo on his arm drove us to about every show we ever did, even the ones in uk and took us to every recording studio. my mom was always good at selling merch for us making food for other bands even having the RESTARTS stay at our house. so heres some links. we are no longer together but if i feel if i have a blog this is something i should share as it's something very important to me.

brian mccann jr






cut the reins supporting leftover crack in galway, ireland

cut the reins (last show) live in galway

carry no banners (live in dunmore)

some of our stuff on interpunk.

cut the reins facebook page

carry no banners facebook page



1 comment:

  1. Hello-

    I work at Stumptown Printers. We printed the insert for Cut The Reins "Man Made Dust" and I was hoping to get in touch with someone from the band to ask a question. If you might have a moment to get back to me or direct me to the right person, I would very much appreciate it!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete